The Super CMO Show
Building a Toolkit for Product Success Management
Welcome to the Locker Room of the Marketing World
Marketing has a long history, and data suggests that marketing started much earlier than most people think or believe. Many historians believe the concept began as early as 1500 BCE when Mesopotamian societies started mass production of goods that required quality control. This period records the earliest form of logo usage.
Then, in 1450 CE, the printing press was invented, revolutionising marketing reach through books, posters and paper. That started the momentum and foundation for marketing.
Timeline -1700s to 1950s
The 1730s -1900s was the golden period for marketing when the foundation was laid for marketing as we know it today – Magazines, Billboards, and Outdoor Advertising all came into being.
The first one-page mail-order catalog was done in 1872, which brought the birth of catalog marketing to the world. 1887 saw the introduction of coupons, and handwritten vouchers, which transformed how promotions were done.
The 1920s saw the emergence of marketing through Radio and TV – the birth of the electronic medium as we know it today. The first Radio Ad hit the marketing world in 1922, and the first TV commercial in 1941..
The 1920s also saw the first emergence of Marketing Research, which is now embedded into the fabric of marketing on how concepts are tested, consumer behaviour is understood, and market shares are measured.
Use of Computers
The 1950s saw the arrival of computers, and this changed marketing forever. In 1967, Lester Wunderman coined the term ‘Direct Marketing’ for one-to-one marketing directly to customers..
Interestingly, in 1954, the word ATL(Above-the-Line) and BTL(Below-The-Line) was coined by the accountants of P&G, differentiating agency payments who undertook promotional activities.
Timeline- 1950s- 2010s
The Magic of Colour
The 1970s saw the explosion of colour, which added magic to catalogs, point-of-purchase materials, coupons, press advertising, television, etc
1996- the 2010s saw the birth of the internet and digital marketing, and marketing has never been the same again, with technology at the core of brand building and customer engagement.
The Super CMO Show attempts to find answers to all these questions through conversations with the best minds in marketing:
- How should the CEO and Company Boards take strategic advantage of marketing to improve the value of their firms?
- What do CMOs and Marketers worry about, and what issues or problems make them lose their sleep?
- Why is it important to understand customer behaviour if you are involved in marketing as a technologist or a marketer?
- What impact does 800-Pound Gorilla – Technology have on the marketing world, and how can it be leveraged for a company’s product or brands?
- Why is the power of data, analytics, and technology on creative is here to stay?
- Why are financial skills as essential for marketers as marketing skills?